Neurological physiotherapy involves rehabilitation and treatment of patients with neurological disorders with specific treatment strategies and special techniques.
Neurological disorders usually involve problems with brain, spinal cord, or peripheral nerves, and this can limit the physical functions of the patient including mobility, strength, coordination, and balance.
Neurological physiotherapy processes are evidence-based, and trails have been carried out for many years. Since the rehabilitation involves training the patient at the hospital, home, and community level, it can be a long-term process. Also the therapist has to work on physical and cognitive aspects of patients for their betterment and recovery.
Common Neurological Disorders
Neurological disorders are more prevalent than you would think since they are the leading cause of disability and also the second leading cause of death worldwide. Some common adult neurological disorders include:
- Brain: Stroke, traumatic brain injury, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, cerebellar disorders, vestibular disorders, general degenerative conditions, etc.
- Spinal Cord Disorders: Congenital and traumatic spinal cord injuries, transverse myelitis, Gullain barre syndrome, and other infectious and hereditary diseases.
- Peripheral Nerve Injuries: Both upper limb and lower limb nerves, diabetic neuropathy.
- Muscle Pathology: Muscular dystrophy, dystonias, etc.
Specific movements and pattern of dysfunction are analysed to find the ground for building the whole treatment strategies. Each and every disorder is documented specifically.
Also Read: The importance of Brain Health
- Brain injury treatment is based upon the understanding of anatomy and the biomechanics of the neurological systems.
- Training the sensory motor system, motor control, and motor learning influences the plasticity of the neurological system, which in turn improves balance, proprioception and other elements.
- Treatment techniques such as - Bobath technique, task-specific training, motor relearning programme, mental imagery, sensory re-education, muscle stimulation, treadmill training for spinal cord injured–patients, novice mirror neuron therapy, and every other technique helps in the recovery and independence of the patient.
Best Neurologist in Chennai | Best Neurologist in Trichy | Best Neurologist in Salem | Best Neurologist in Hosur
Become a Member to post Articles
Back to Profile